[Home] | [Our Shop] | [Contact Us] | [Flower Frog Collection] | [Collector Feedback]

Feedback / Input from Collectors

This page contains questions and answers from other flower frog collectors. I reserve the right to edit all letters I post here. If you can answer any of the questions posted here, please e-mail.

On 3/20/00, Mick & Melinda Walters wrote the following request:

I would like some information on one piece. It is a flower frog shaped like a lady. It is all green and has a z or n in the bottom of glass. It stands about 10 inches or so. It is a piece that belongs to my mother-in-law and she was curious about the value of it. If you could get back with me with any information that would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi I too am a frog collector..........I have a few rose bowls, but I have no information on them or who made them.......Most of mine are like yours for a candle also, but I do have 1 ruby bowl and frog without a center large hole, it just has many frog holes, it also has a lion hair type footing...Do you have any information on these bowls as you are the first person I have found other then myself with one........

I too have the lotus bowl silver frog, in 2 types, and would like to sell them and a few others if you know of anyone with interest.

Any information you can give would be muchly appreciated.....


Much thanks, Pamela.B.


Hi, Its me again..........I think I may have some information on our rose bowls. ...I have found that they are made by a company named Viking glass.......I personally have green, ruby(with a ruby frog), yellow, aqua (my favorite), crystal with silver onlayed flowers and vines painted on the bowl,purple,1 with hobnail in reddish orange and 1 bowl which supports the 5 inch crystal frog. I have a green depression glass bowl with a 5 in frog(crystal) and a small pineapple yellow holder with a crystal frog in it. I also have a pink and a gold laced rimmed bowl with 5 inch crystal frogs...... I have been collecting passionately, but have slowed down a bit. I am getting more selective now. When I started it was with a glass crystal disc. I had no idea how vast frogs would reach...... Now Iím hooked. I keep seeing a black 3 footed bowl in a lot of antique shoppes without a frog.....I wonder if this is in fact a frog bowl? It is larger then 5 inches in the opening.....Any ideas? Thanks.......Pamela B.


Hi again,

I have found that 1 of my frogs is called a Gonder Pottery Pyramid frog set. I have the 2 large circular pieces and am missing the center insert.........I am sure this is a one in a million chance, but do you think you could post this and ask for help if anyone may have this piece to contact me?

Much Appreciated...........Pamela B. E-mail: FroggieB

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997 11:01:15 -0500 Derry Fishel writes:

I am confused by the discovery of the term "flower frog," in the course of browsing over studio glass sites on the Internet. I have been a collector of art glass items for a number of years and as well have independently of my interest in glass had a scientific and hobby interest in the amphibians (animals ) known as frogs for over half a century. I never until today came across the term "flower frogs" when I stumbled upon links to your site (and a few others) via Angela Bowey's web presence. I subsequently began searching in my copy of Webster's Dictionary and as well, in Newman's Illustrated Dictionary of Glass (admittedly a limited search)---but am still frustrated by the complete absence of the term. Searching through your web-site (and other linked sites) has been no more illuminative of the origin of the term. Is this an invented and exclusive subject for certain initiates---or is there a historic literature on the subject to which I may refer to become properly educated?


D. L. Fishel

D.L. Fishel,

I would think you did find the Flower Frog Gazette web site written by Bonnie Bull. On one of her pages she writes:

"The etymology of the term "frog" has proved more difficult to research than the actual items themselves. The term "frog" as it relates to a holder for flower stems does appear in 1968 in the Random House Dictionary of the English Language, but it is not listed in the Oxford and Chamber's etymological dictionaries. How it came into general use remains a mystery. Over the years flower frogs have been referred to by many different names; such as, flower blocks, flower bricks, flower holders, and floral arrangers. Despite the confusion of terminology, they remain a delight to collect."

To gather more of the history of Flower Frogs, I suggest that you go to the following page of her site,

http://members. aol.com/bluebirdct/collff.html

My Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary has as the last definition "7: a small holder (as of metal, glass, or plastic) with perforations or spikes for holding flowers in place in a bowl or vase."

I wish I could give you more information than this, but I am fairly new to flower frogs. I think that most of us could only guess as to where the term originated. I was talking to a co-worker today about this because I received a similar question from another collector of frogs, not the flower type, yesterday . This friend is from Virginia, and he was remembering his confusion upon hearing his mother refer to one of these glass blocks when he was a boy. He said he knew it definitely was not the amphibian type! He commented further that one day his mother sat down a hot cast iron skillet and preceded to tell him and his brother to stay away from it because it was a hot spider. We both know that there are many of this type of colloquialisms which have come to be included in our common language. Perhaps is has to do with existing both in and out of the water.

All in all, I agree with Bonnie, "Flower Frogs" are very interesting and there are many charming pieces out there, no matter what you call them!

Thanks for writing, and if you should solve this puzzle, I would love to have you share the answer with me.


Dear Marcia,

Thank you for your prompt answer; I have not yet solved the puzzle to my satisfaction although have uncovered one other term which may or may not be related. Glass artisans up until only recently were generally associated with factories owing to the requirement of maintaining a furnace of molten glass on a continuous basis in order to practice the skills of glass craftsmanship. It was the practice to allow the glass-blower to make various objects on his own time using the end of the melt before re-charging the furnace, which he could sell for personal gain. These items were known as "friggars" and have included examples of all of the figures which are pictured on the various web-sites devoted to flower-frogs.

Are all the items known as flower-frogs actually used for sustaining flower arrangements in water? I had thought on first seeing pictures on the Internet sites--that they merely represented decorative items for shelf or coffee table. If I learn more I shall try to keep you informed.



This is very interesting information. Would you mind if I include it on my information exchange page?

To the best of my knowledge, the frogs are intended for floral arrangements. Most were made in colors matching bowls that were also available. In the Cambridge catalog you will find several different bowls and the swans that mention which frog would match or visa versa. I have experimented with a few pieces myself, and they do make very pleasing arrangements

It is really great to see that our efforts in contacting fellow collectors is drawing interest from others. Please do let me know if you learn more.

Thanks again,



Please feel free to add my comments to your page. You may wish also to reference my source which is "An Illustrated Dictionary of Glass," by Harold Newman which was published in 1977 by Thames and Hudson (New York).


Return to Home Page

Created June 14, 1997

Last updated November 26, 2005

©2002, Marcia E Bradley - FroggieB


Photos on this website and "FroggieB" logo are property of Marcia & Miles Bradley and may not be reproduced in any way without permission. "FroggieB" logo created by Marcia Bradley.